Do Not Ask For Love
by Erin

Mike looked around the Pad. The guys had left it a total mess. Davy's little black books were all over the floor. Just for the fun of it, Mike began to pick one up and leaf through it, just to see how many girls were on his dating list. Then, Davy walked into the room.

"Ello, Mike," he said. "What are you doing with me little black book?"

"Just lookin'," Mike replied. "How many chicks are actually on your datin' list?"

"Two million," Davy said. "But who's counting? By the way, I've set you up on a blind date tonight."

"What? You what?!"

Mike was furious. Never in his life had he been on a blind date. He didn't know what to expect.

And furthermore, Davy knew better than to set Mike up.

"Why on earth would ya do that?" he asked.

"Well, me date for tonight, Allison, you see, a friend of 'ers is coming for a visit," Davy said. "And Allison won't go on a date tonight unless I found a date for 'er friend."

"Do you know a thing about Allison's friend?"

"Well, she's smashing."

"You saw her?"

"Yeah. Anyway, she's got brown hair, brown eyes, a nice smile, she loves animals, music, and she's really shy."

"I see. Why don't you get Micky or Peter to date her?"

"I asked. They said you needed a date."

"All right. I'll do it."

"Great! I'll call Allison and tell 'er the good news!"

Mike groaned. That night, Micky and Peter started to get Mike ready for his date. Micky pulled out some cologne.

"This stuff won't make me pass out, will it?" Mike asked.

"Nah, this is good stuff," Micky said. He sprayed Mike with it.

"Where are you going?" Peter asked, pulling shirt after shirt after Mike's closet.

"We're goin' to that pizza place downtown," Mike said. "And then we're gonna see a movie."

"Oh," Peter said. "Wear this."

Peter threw Mike his eight button red shirt, gray pants, black boots, and the wool hat. Mike waited until Micky and Peter left the room until he changed his clothes. Then, there was a knock on the door.

"That's them," Mike said. "Here goes nothin'."

Mike and Davy straightened themselves out before they opened the door. In the doorway there were two girls, Davy and Mike's dates for the evening.

"Hi, Davy," Allison said. "This is my friend from Maryland, Erin."

Erin gave a shy little wave. Mike just stared at her.

Davy took Allison's arm and led her to the car. Mike and Erin continued to look at one another.

"'Ey we're going to be going anytime soon" yelled Davy from the car. Mike took Erin by the arm and led her to the car.

They arrived at the pizza place and sat down. Davy and Allison just went into there own little world and started making out. Mike looked at them, jealous of what they had and the other have 'can't they take it somewhere else.' His eyes moved so they looked at Erin.

"What a night huh?" Mike said and Erin nodded. Mike looked around the room for something to do and found it was Karaokie night. Without a word Mike stood up and walked to the mike. "Can I have Brown eyed Girl?"

The man nodded and turned on the song. Mike gulped as the first words to the song popped on the little TV screen.

"What's 'e doing?" Davy asked. Allison shrugged.

Mike gulped once more and watched the screen. He looked at Erin. She had a shy smile on her face as she ate a slice of pepperoni pizza. After awhile, he finally found his voice and started singing "Brown Eyed Girl". Once he was done, everyone clapped and cheered. Mike walked back down to the table.

"That was good, Mike," Davy said.

"I didn't know you could sing like that," Allison said. "What did you think, Erin?"

Erin shrugged.

"I liked Van Morrison's version better," she said, softly. "But, Mike's was good."

"Well, that's something," Mike said, shrugging. "At least she's talkin' to me."

Erin slurped her Coke in silence. Mike tried to say something.

"So, you're from Maryland, huh?" he asked. "What part?"

"Germantown," Erin said. "But I want to live here."

"That's cool. Warm weather all year round."

Erin nodded and ate some pizza. Mike glanced at Davy. He was whispering something to Allison that made her giggle. Mike turned to the pizza. He picked up a piece of pepperoni and took a bite out of it. He looked at Erin and smiled. Erin smiled back.

"Can we go back to your pad now?" she asked.

Mike choked on the pizza. Davy had to whack him on the back several times.

"This is to 'elp 'im swallow or spit it out," he explained. Mike let out a strangled gasp as a piece of pizza flew out of his mouth and landed on the table.

"Ew, gross," Erin said.

"Sorry," Mike said. He cleared his throat. "You want to go back to the pad? Why?"

"I just want to, okay?" Erin said. "I don't want to see the stupid movie."

"All right," Mike said. "I'll take you to the pad. Davy and Allison can continue their date."

Mike led Erin outside to the car. Davy ran out after them.

"'Ey, can't you take a cab or something?" he asked. "I need the car."

Mike groaned. He glared at Davy. Davy gave Mike some money for cab fair and walked back into the restaurant. Mike groaned.

"Davy, get back here!" he yelled.

"What?" Davy asked.

"You take the cab. I'm takin' the car. Capeesh?"

"What does capeesh mean?"

"It means understand. It's Italian. Micky taught it to me."

"Oh. Okay, I capeesh. You take the Monkee Mobile and I'll walk 'ome under the stahs. Romantic, isn't it?"

Mike nodded. He and Erin got into the car and drove off. Mike took the opportunity of the first red light they hit to talk.

"Why'd you want to leave early?" Mike asked. "Want to do somethin' else other than eat pizza and see a groovy movie I've seen thirteen times?"

Erin folded her arms across her chest and remained silent. Mike sighed.

"Well," he said as the light turned green. "What? Why are you givin' me the cold treatment? If it's about the song, I'm sorry. I was just tryin' to break the ice. If it was somethin' I said or did..."

"It's not that, Mike," Erin said.

"Wait, I got it. It's my cologne, isn't it? That's it. Every girl I go out with hates my cologne. Man, I told Micky I shouldn't have worn it."

"No, it's not your cologne. And it isn't about you jealous of Davy and Allison, either."

"You could tell?"

"I think everybody could. You're face tells what you're thinking."

"You read faces?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, kind of like a palm reader, huh?"

Erin rolled her eyes and groaned. A comedian. She was in a car with a Texas comedian, one she didn't even know. Mike pulled into the Pad and got out of the car.

"So," he said. "Where are you stayin'?"

Erin rolled her eyes and walked for the door. Mike groaned and followed. This night wasn't what he expected. He sighed and opened the door. Micky and Peter were putting together a jigsaw puzzle, waiting for Davy and Mike to get home.

"Hey," Micky said. "How was the date?"

"Lousy," Mike whispered. "She won't even talk to me."

"Maybe it's the hat, Mike," Peter whispered back. "People may think you're hiding something."

"By the way," Micky asked, "where's Davy?"

"Still with Allison," Mike said. "I don't get why chicks don't dig me."

Mike took off his hat and straightened out his hair. Then, he walked over to the couch where Erin was sitting and sat down.

"Look," he said, "if we're not goin' to do anythin' else tonight, why don't I just take you home?"

"Fine," Erin said. "Let's go."

Mike glanced at Peter and Micky. They shrugged. Mike and Erin walked down to the Monkee Mobile and drove off. Erin said she was staying at Allison's. Mike knew where that was. To his surprise, the lights were on. Mike walked Erin to the door and walked inside. Davy and Allison were sitting on the couch kissing.

"Okay, break it up," Mike said.

"Oh, 'ello, Mike," Davy said. "What ah you doing 'ere?"

"Dropping my 'date' off," Mike said. "Come on, Davy. Let's split."

"Okay, sure," Davy said. He turned to Allison. "Bye, luv. See you latah."

"Much later," Mike said. He and Davy hopped in the Monkee Mobile and drove back to the Pad. Peter and Micky were still working on the jigsaw puzzle.

"How was it?" Micky asked.

"Great," Davy said at the same time Mike said "lousy" again.

"I doubt she'll call," Mike said. He stretched. "I'm goin' to bed. I'm beat."

"Translation," Davy said, "'e's gonna flop down on 'is bed and try to suffocate 'imself."

Mike started to chase Davy around the Pad. He normally wouldn't do this, but Davy was making him mad. Davy ran off onto the balcony and down the stairs. Mike followed. They were running and shrieking so loudly, their landlord, Mr. Babbit, had to throw his shoes at them and yell at them.

"Hey you guys!" he shouted. "Shut up out there!!"

"Sorry, Mr.Babbit," Mike and Davy said in unison.

Mike and Davy finally went back inside. Mike stayed in his room (or the one he shares with Micky) for the rest of the night. Davy stayed in his (or the one he shares with Peter). Micky and Peter figured Mike needed to blow off some steam, so they stayed downstairs until eleven thirty. By that time, Mike was out like a light, not to be disturbed by anything except a sonic boom, World War Three, a jack hammer, a really big thunder storm, an earthquake, or his alarm clock, whichever came first. Mike got up late the next morning. He sat down at the table and stared at a plate of cold eggs drenched in what looked like root beer.

"What is with Pete and root beer?" he asked. Micky shrugged.

"What's the meal this time, Mick?" Davy asked.

"Pete calls it his eggs a la root beer," Micky said.

Davy nodded. Mike checked the doorway, in case Peter was coming. He wasn't. Mike stood up, picked up his plate, and walked to the window. He opened it and hurled the eggs a la root beer out the window. Then, he heard Peter coming and ran back to his chair. Micky and Davy threw their eggs out the window, too, and ran to the table.

"What did you think of my breakfast?" Peter asked.

"It's like nothing I evah ate, Petah," Davy said.

"Better than your cream of root beer soup," Micky said.

"Just do me one favor, Pete," Mike said. "Get out of this root beer phase."

Peter nodded. As the day went on, the phone rang. All four Monkees dived for it. Mike ended up picking it up.

"Hello?" he asked. "Oh. Just a sec. Here, Pete, it's some chick."

"Wow, a girl's calling me!" Peter said. He took the phone away from Mike. "Hello? Oh, hello! Yeah, he said it was pretty lousy. Well, I don't know. I have to check. Guys, are we busy tonight?"

"No," Mike, Micky, and Davy said in unison.

"I'm not busy," Peter continued. "Sure. Tonight at seven sounds great. Okay. I'll see you then. Bye-bye."

"So," Mike said. "Who was it? A chick who dumped Davy or Micky?"

"Or you," Peter said. "Erin asked me out on a date. You don't mind, do you, Mike?"

"Me? Mind?" Mike asked. "No! Of course not! You go on ahead! Go on your date with that girl who... who doesn't like a thing I do. Go... go on. Have fun."

Peter smiled. Mike just kept smiling and nodding when Peter told the others about his plans. However, inside, he fumed. At six thirty, he was off.

"I'll be back soon," he said. "Bye!"

"Bye, Pete," Mike said, through gritted teeth. He was gnashing his teeth together. He didn't want to seem angry in front of Davy and Micky, but it didn't work too well.

"Ah you mad at Petah, Mike?" Davy asked.

"No!" Mike said, defensively. "I'm just wonderin' why the heck Erin doesn't like me and what she sees in a bubble head like Peter!"

Micky gasped. Never in Mike's life had he called Peter a bubble head. He must have been mad. Mike stormed up to his and Micky's room and slammed the door.

"He's mad," Davy and Micky said in unison.

Two hours later, Peter returned. Mike was still holed up in his and Micky's room.

"'Ow was your date, Petah?" Davy asked.

"It was great!" Peter said. "We went to the amusement park. There was a carousel and three roller coasters, bumper cars, and even a tunnel of love!"

"Oh that's all Mike needs to hear," Micky said. "He's a little mad."

"Why?" Peter asked.

"'E's wondering why Erin likes you and not 'im," Davy said.

"Well," Peter said, "Erin did talk about Mike all night. Maybe she likes him and things got off to a wrong start. She said she wants to see Mike again."

"That's good," Micky said.

"Or is it?" Davy replied.

Peter went upstairs and told Mike about his date. He fumed a little when Peter told him about the rides at the park, especially the tunnel of love.

"We didn't go on it, though," Peter said. Mike nodded.

"Really," he asked, not really interested. "What else? I'd like to get some sleep, if you don't mind."

"Oh yeah, sure," Peter said. "Anyway, all Erin did was talk about you."

"Really?" Mike said, getting interested. "What'd she say?"

"She said she wanted to see you again," Peter said.

"When?"

"She said tomorrow night, if it's possible."

"Tomorrow's good. All right! Great! Thanks, Pete!"

The next night, Erin met Mike at the Pad. They went off on another date. Things went much better than they did two nights ago.

"So how do you like California?" Mike asked.

"I like the warm weather," Erin said. "But I miss the snow."

Mike nodded. He didn't know what to say from that. Texas was a warm state, but there weren't too many snow storms, at least not in southern Texas, so he really couldn't give an opinion. The two of them decided to get something to eat and then play the rest of the night by ear. They went to a local burger joint, got some burgers and fries, and split a chocolate milkshake.

"You sure you want to split a milkshake?" Mike asked, as he plucked two straws out of the condiment stand. "Usually I get slapped whenever I suggest we share a milkshake."

"Peter and I did it last night," Erin said. "I think it's romantic."

"I see."

Mike sighed and placed his straw in the milkshake. He started to slurp on it. They ate in total silence. Then, they went back to the Pad. They sat out on the balcony for a little while and talked.

"Nice night," he said.

"I guess," Erin said. "I need to tell you something Mike."

"Oh. Okay, sure. Go ahead."

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"And when you think you're in love, you can't stop thinking about that person?"

Wow, she's readin' my mind, Mike thought. She must know I'm crazy about her and she must be crazy about me, too. Why else would she be tellin' me all this?

"Yeah?"

"Anyway, I'm having that feeling. It's with someone you know really well."

"Oh? Wow, that's interestin'."

"I feel that way about Peter."

"Oh, that's wonderful, that's great, that's..." Mike then realized the name Erin said. "Peter?!"

Yeah," Erin said. "Peter."

"Oh. Peter."

Mike kept nodding. Then, he walked inside with a blank stare across his face. Davy and Micky stared at him.

"You okay, Mike?" Micky asked. Mike nodded. Peter walked by just then.

"Hi, Mike," he said.

"Shut up!" Mike yelled. Then, he stormed off. Peter started to cry.

"All I said was 'hi, Mike'!" he cried.

"Something tells me his date didn't go as planned," Micky said. "I'll go talk to him."

Micky walked upstairs to the bedroom while Davy comforted Peter. He opened the door and was met by Mike hurling his alarm clock at the door. Micky shut the door before the clock hit him in the face.

"Okay, you're mad," he said. "What's wrong?"

"Who do you think you are, my mother?" Mike asked, jumping down on his bed. He yanked off one of his boots and threw it across the room.

"I just want to know," Micky continued. "Why'd you tell Peter to shut up when all he said to you was 'hi, Mike'?"

"Because he stole my girlfriend."

"You mean Erin? Mike, she never was your girlfriend. She doesn't even like you! Peter told us but he didn't tell you."

"She doesn't like me?"

"No. I'm sorry you just found out, but she doesn't like you."

"Well, that's no surprise. But why doesn't she like me?"

"She said you're not cute like Davy, not funny like me, and not sensitive like Peter. She doesn't know how to place you."

"Swell."

Micky shrugged. Mike yanked off his other boot and threw it across the room. He took his wool hat off and threw that across the room as well. He was in a bad mood and he felt like throwing things around. He waited until Micky left. Then, he started throwing his stuff. The feeling didn't pass until he threw a desk lamp at the mirror. Both broke and brought Davy, Micky, and Peter up to the bedroom.

"Wow, what a mess," Davy said. "I'd hate to see Babbit's face when 'e sees this."

"Mike, are you sure you're not mad at me?" Peter asked.

"No," Mike said. "I'm sure I'm mad at you! Why didn't you tell me before she didn't like me?! Why did you have to wait?! Why doesn't anyone tell me anything?!"

"Would it help if I said I'm sorry?" Peter asked, timidly.

"Sorry? You're sorry?" Mike asked. "No, it won't help!"

"What will?"

"If I can tear you limb from limb!"

Mike lunged toward Peter. Both Micky and Davy grabbed him before he got to the shy Monkee. Mike struggled a little but gave up.

"Calm down," Davy said.

"Down boy, easy, easy!" Micky shouted. Mike caught his breath.

"Let's clean up this mess," Davy said. "We'll replace that mirror latah."

The Monkees got to work cleaning up Mike and Micky's bedroom. Mike stayed as far away from Peter as he could get. The next day, Mike found Peter in the kitchen packing sandwiches and potato chips in a basket.

"What are you doin', Pete?" he asked.

"I'm going out," Peter said. "It's a nice day. Erin's coming over and we're going to go on a picnic on the beach."

"Oh."

Mike walked toward the basket. He looked at it for a little while and then saw the box of Corn Flakes sitting right behind it.

Hmm, suddenly, I've got a cravin' for Corn Flakes, he thought. He got a sneaky smile on his face and reached for the Corn Flakes. As he was pulling it off the table, he knocked into the picnic basket. It flew to the floor. Peter saw.

"Mike," he said. "You do realize you knocked over my basket?"

"Oops," Mike said, sarcastically. "Sorry, Pete."

Mike walked over to the basket and kicked it "accidentally". It skidded out the door and down the balcony steps. The sandwiches spilled across the beach. Peter and Erin couldn't eat them because now they were covered in sand. Furthermore, the seagulls made a dive bomb for them. The food was gone in a matter of minutes.

"Aw, what a drag," Mike said, sarcastically. "Sorry."

"I think you did that on purpose," Peter said.

Mike smirked and snickered. He walked over to the ice box and pulled out the milk to put on his Corn Flakes. Then, he would stir his cereal until it became soggy.

"Mike!" Peter shouted. "Did you hear me? You did that on purpose!"

"Did what?" Mike asked. "Oh. Oh! Yeah, now I know what you mean. And I'm shocked you would ever think that! Besides, it was an accident."

Peter pouted for a little. Then, he saw Mike's sneaky smile while he stirred his cereal and knew Mike kicked the basket out onto the beach on purpose. Peter then made a move that he would never do to anyone. He picked up the milk drenched Corn Flakes and dumped it on Mike's head. Soggy cereal and milk dripped down the Texan's face.

"Now I'm mad," Mike said, taking the bowl off his head.

Mike went over to the ice box and pulled out one of Micky's cream pies (Micky was going through cream pie cravings and whenever any Monkee would go shopping they would buy a couple of pies). Mike walked up to Peter, pie in hand and flung it in his face. Peter wiped off his face and licked his hands.

"Thanks," Peter said.

"Don't mention it," Mike said. He walked over to the sink and leaned under the faucet to wash the milk and Corn Flakes out of his hair.

Peter walked over to the towel rack for a washcloth to wipe the pie off his face. Mike saw this and stuck his foot out. Peter tripped on it. He turned to look at Mike, but he was "innocently" rinsing out his hair. Peter growled and reached for a towel. Davy and Micky walked in for their breakfast and saw a little of Mike's milky hair and Peter with whipped cream on his face.

"Rats!" Micky shouted. "We missed another food fight!"

"What 'appened?" Davy asked.

"Don't ask," Mike said. "Just hand me a towel."

Micky shrugged and threw a towel to Mike. Then, someone knocked on the door.

"That's probably Allison," Davy said. "She, Erin, Petah, and I are going for a picnic on the beach."

"Yeah, on the beach is right," Peter said. "Mike knocked the basket out side and the birds at the food."

"Mi-ike!" Davy whined. "What'd you go and do that for?"

Mike didn't answer. He just rubbed his hair with the towel. He was going to rub his hair until his scalp hurt. It worked. As Allison and Erin walked into the Pad (they had brought food just in case Peter was bringing cream of root beer soup), they saw Mike sitting on the couch, rubbing his head.

"What's the matter?" Allison asked. "Headache?"

"No," Mike said, sourly. "I got out of the shower and rubbed my hair too hard with a towel."

The girls nodded. Peter came out of his room.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Yep," Erin said. "Let's go."

"Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, Peter!" Mike shouted.

Peter ignored Mike's remark. Davy threw him a Look. Then, they left with the two girls. They returned two hours later. Davy and Peter walked inside. Mike was waiting for him.

"How was the date?" he asked.

"Not bad," Peter said.

"Pretty good, actually," Davy said. "All four of us ah going out tonight."

Mike nodded and walked off. That night, Davy and Peter walked out of their bedroom, ready for a date. Mike growled.

"Well?" Peter asked. "Do I look all right?"

"Who cares?" Mike asked.

"You look great, Petah," Davy said.

Mike stood up and walked up face to face to Peter. Micky came downstairs to see Davy and Peter off, but ended up watching Peter and Mike have a little stand off.

"Do you know what would complete that outfit?" Mike asked.

"What?" Peter asked. Mike gave Peter a hard shove.

"A black eye!" he shouted. Peter shoved Mike right back.

"And a fat lip for you to go with that fat head!" he shouted. Davy and Micky gasped.

"All right, Tork," Mike said. "This means war."

Mike and Peter jumped on each other and started a fight. Davy and Micky ran to them to keep them apart. Davy grabbed Peter and Micky grabbed Mike.

"Hey, guys, that's enough!" Micky shouted. "Cool it, Mike! Cool it!"

"Petah, stop it!" Davy shouted. "Let 'im go!"

Peter and Mike didn't listen. They just tried to tear each other apart. No one noticed when the girls walked inside.

"What's going on in here?" Allison asked.

"Off hand," Erin said, "I'd say Peter and Mike are fighting."

Allison and Erin ran for the boys.

"Would someone tell us what's going on?" Erin said.

"They're fighting over you," Davy said. "Mike found out a little too late that you didn't like him."

"Oh no," Erin said. "Guys! Guys, stop it!"

Allison had to help Micky pull Mike away from Peter, as did Erin helped Davy pull Peter away from Mike. They were successful. However, Peter did come out with a black eye and a bloody nose. Mike ended up with a bruised cheek and a split lip. Basically, there was blood. Erin began to feel queasy.

"Ding!" Micky shouted. Then, in an announcers voice, he said, "Fighters return to your corners!"

Davy led Peter to one end of the room while Mike stormed to the other end. The girls stood, bewildered. Davy walked into the kitchen for some ice. Micky had to hold Mike down before he ran to Peter and gave him a good clobbering. Davy returned with ice cubes wrapped in two clothes. He handed on to Micky and kept the other one. Micky gave it to Mike. Mike put the ice on his lip and then stormed upstairs. Peter watched him go as he held the cloth to his nose. After a little while, Davy, Allison, Peter, and Erin went out on their date. Ten minutes after they left, Mike walked down stairs.

"You really did it this time," Micky said.

"I know," Mike said. "I'll be out on the balcony. I need some air."

Micky watched. Mike was leaning on the balcony railing, staring down at the beach. He was still there when Davy and Peter returned. Erin was with them.

"Is Mike still on the war path?" Davy asked.

"No," Micky said. "He's cooled off a little. He's out on the balcony, staring at the ocean."

"I'm going to bed," Davy said. He left. Micky left. Peter sighed. It was time to end all the arguments going on between himself and Mike.

"Erin," he said. "We need to talk."

"Sure," Erin said. "What about?"

"Listen, you saw the way Mike acted this evening."

"I know. He's jealous again."

"Only because he really likes you. He's crazy about you."

"But Peter, I'm crazy over you! I've never met anyone like you!"

"I know. But Mike is a great guy underneath his hard exterior."

"Peter, the man is a complete stiff."

"Not really. He cries sometimes."

"Sure."

"No, really! He did once! Look, he may not be as cute as Davy, as funny as Micky, and as sensitive as me, but he's really a great guy."

"I don't know, Peter."

"Look, just give him a chance. He's a real great guy. He's a lot more sensitive than he looks."

"That's a little hard to believe, Peter."

"No, really. His a lot more sensitive to people who's parents are divorced."

"Why?"

"His parents are divorced. They've been divorced since Mike was three. He told us."

"Three years old? Wow, I didn't know."

"Just go talk to him. He'll be happy about it. I know."

Erin looked out the window. Mike was standing on the balcony, looking out at the ocean. Erin looked outside and sighed.

"Okay," she said. "I'll talk to him."

Peter smiled. Erin walked outside onto the balcony.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," Mike said.

"Nice night, huh?"

"I guess."

The two of them grew silent. Erin bit her lower lip. Mike just stared at the ocean.

"Mike," Erin finally said.

"Yes?" Mike asked.

"Um, I know you may not be cute like Davy, funny like Micky, or sensitive like Peter."

"I know."

"I was wondering if we could go out sometime."

"I really appreciate the gesture, but I'd rather not."

"Why not?"

"I don't... I don't know. Wouldn't you rather go out with Peter?"

Mike wasn't making any eye contact. He just stared out at the ocean and around the beach. Erin sighed.

"Yeah," she said. "No. I mean..."

"What'd I tell you?" Mike said. He was looking down at his hands, now.

"Mike, come on," Erin said. "I mean, Davy may be the cute one, Micky may be the funny one, Peter may be the sensitive one, but you are something more than that."

"What am I? The one with the wool hat?"

"No. You're the smart one. And the talented one."

"Well, so are the others."

Mike looked up at the sky. He refused to look at Erin. He wasn't making it easy for her.

"Mike," she said. "I don't want to take all night. I just want to say that I think you're a great guy. Really. Probably underneath that rock hard shell of yours, there's a sensitive soul who's just waiting for the right girl to come along."

"I bet Peter told you that," Mike said.

"No. He told me your parents are divorced. I'm sorry."

Mike looked up and at Erin. He was a bit speechless.

"I... well, uh," he said. "Well, it doesn't matter."

"He said you were only three years old," Erin continued. She rested her hand on his. "He said you really opened up to people who are victims of divorce."

"Yeah, well."

"I just think maybe we can go out and start this relationship over."

Mike looked away and sighed. Somehow he felt she was only doing this as a favor to Peter.

"Are you doin' this for Peter?" he asked.

"Well, he told me to talk to you," Erin admitted.

"Thought so. Well, I appreciate it and all, but I think you'd be better off with Peter."

Things got quiet once again. Mike began to twiddle his thumbs. Erin broke the silence.

"Mike," she said. "I know this may seem like a touchy subject, but why aren't women attracted to you?"

"I'd like to know that one myself," Mike said. "I don't really know why. I guess they don't think I'm cute, funny, or sensitive. That's what they all see in Davy, Micky, and Peter. That or my accent. Whatever comes first."

"I think you're cute and funny."

"Thanks. But it doesn't matter, I guess. You're crazy for Peter, Peter likes you. I just want to tell you, while you're here, you've been stuck in my mind since our first date."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I haven't been able to stop thinkin' about you and when I heard you were in love with Peter, that kind of, I don't know, wrecked me, I guess."

"Oh."

"I mean, now I think I can understand why you like Peter better than me. I mean, he's better lookin', he's got a way with women, he's..."

Mike rambled until Erin leaned up and kissed his cheek. Then, Mike stopped, looked at Erin, and laughed.

"What was that for?" he asked, smiling a little.

"I don't know," Erin said. "Because you look like the kind of guy who rarely gets kissed."

"Oh. Well, you're right. The last kiss I received was from a woman named Miss Buntwell. That was about a month ago."

Things got silent again. Finally, Davy, Micky, and Peter couldn't stand the silence any longer.

"JUST KISS HER YOU BLOCKHEAD!" they screamed.

Mike jumped. He turned around and glared at the other three.

"Do you mind?" he asked. "I'd like to have a talk with the girl in private if it's all right with you!"

Erin giggled. She looked at Mike and smiled. Mike smiled back.

"I appreciate the whole thing," he said. "But you're better of with Peter."

"Aw come on, Mike," Erin said. "Look, Allison and Davy are going out again tomorrow. They asked if Peter and I wanted to come. Do you want to come in Peter's place?"

"Sure," Mike said.

The next night, Mike, Erin, Davy, and Allison went to the amusement park that was outside town. Mike was determined to make Erin like him once and for all. He wasn't going to try anything stupid, like make a move. He'd just comment about certain things. As the night came, Davy suggested the four of them go in the Tunnel of Love.

"Uh, no thanks," Mike said. "I'm not the mushy type of person."

"Neither am I," Erin said.

"Aw, c'mon!" Davy shouted. He and Allison dragged Erin and Mike into the boat and let them ride through the tunnel.

"We'll be right behind you!" Davy called as the boat went into the tunnel.

"I don't know how he does it," Mike said. "But he does it."

Mike and Erin rode in total silence. The tunnel began to get dark. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant monster appeared. Erin screamed and jumped on Mike. Mike was a little surprised. He put his arm around Erin, since she already had both her arms around his neck.

"Don't worry," he said. "It's just a little ol' monster. I thought this was the Tunnel of Love. Not the haunted house."

Erin giggled. Mike half expected her to unwrap her arms, but she didn't. So, Mike left his arm around her shoulders. Things got quiet again. There were more romantic scenes in the tunnel.

"I really don't like this mushy stuff," Mike said.

"But do you like this?" Erin asked. Before Mike could ask what Erin meant, she leaned up and kissed him on the lips.

"I, uh," he stammered. "I, gee, that was... uh. . ."

Erin smiled. Mike smiled back. The two of them kissed again. They were still kissing when the ride ended. Davy and Allison were a bit surprised.

"It's usually me who gets caught in a lip lock," Davy said. "All right you two love birds, break it up! Come up for air!"

Mike let go. He blushed a little. He wanted to make a fast get away, but it was too late. The thrills were over. It was time to head back to the Pad. Once at the Pad, Mike and Erin walked out to the balcony. The two of them kissed again. Davy watched. Mike didn't notice. Once the two were done, Erin began talking.

"So, see you tomorrow for roller skating, Mike?" she asked.

"Yeah," Mike said. "Sure. You're gonna have to teach me some moves. I haven't been on roller skates since 1952."

Erin laughed. Mike kissed her cheek before she left. The two of them waved to each other as Erin walked off the beach, on her way home. Mike walked inside. The other three were waiting for him.

"Is it the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Mike?" Peter asked.

"Sure is, Pete," Mike said, smiling. "Sure is."

End